Generating new leads is challenging for businesses and marketers alike and given all of today’s rapidly advancing technology, this process has become even more complicated. According to statistics, the majority of marketers, over 60%, say their biggest challenge in generating new leads is the generation of high-quality leads. Furthermore, those who have a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) system in place, almost 85% of them use some sort of scoring process to grade the quality of new leads.
In order to garner the best new sales opportunities, over 70% of marketers use a content marketing strategy to reach out to new leads. Given these statistics, it is important to create the right type of content that is directly targeted towards the correct audience. Here are three important content marketing strategies to consider:
Building a Buyer Persona
Before we start creating our content, it is important to understand our audience by crafting a buyer persona to better understand our readers. To reach the majority of them online, we need our material stand out from the rest of the internet crowd. To approach this daunting task, think of a this persona as a customer profile, a portrait of how different characteristics influence their purchasing practices. This portrayal of an ideal consumer should include things like:
- Gender – although some personas are not gender specific, still an important aspect.
- Age – often how one perceives the world around them is dependent upon their age.
- Education – are they more comfortable with technical information or product reviews?
- Interests – hobbies, favorite TV shows and movies – can get us closer to our buyer.
- Finances – not their bank balance, but what they are willing to pay, how they purchase.
All of these factors can help us to better understand how buyers ultimately come to make their purchasing decisions.
Connecting with Consumers through Content
Now that we better understand our audience, we can generate content that can more effectively targets and connects with them. These are four of the best ways to reach readers online:
- The use of images, photos, videos, infographics, slideshows, etc.
- Following trends, staying current with relevant topics and information
- Mobile first mentality, ensure content is accessible and viewable on handheld devices
- Make emotional connections that inspire awe, laughter and positive feelings
Don’t Get Lost in Translation
When crossing cultural and language barriers, communicating and translating a message can often mean the difference between a compliment and an insult. Sometimes these mistaken translations are humorous and at other times frightening, for example:
- When Pepsi turned their “Come alive with Pepsi” slogan over to the Chinese marketplace, it translated to “Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead.”
- Coors Light’s “Turn it loose” tagline became “You’ll suffer from diarrhea” in Spanish.
- Schweppe’s was attempting to sell their signature tonic water in Germany, but sales tanked when the product label was seen as “toilet water.”
- The famous “Got Milk?” campaign took on a whole new meaning with a Latino twist that read, “Are you lactating?”
To solve this conundrum and avoid these kinds of misinterpretations, many marketers will work with content translation providers rather than mindless, computerized translation services. Generating new leads using content marketing can be a very effective strategy given the right set of circumstances, being better educated about our audience and connecting with them both intellectually and emotionally.
Nick Rojas is a business consultant and writer who lives in Los Angeles and Chicago. He has consulted small and medium-sized enterprises for over twenty years. He has contributed articles to Visual.ly, Entrepreneur, and TechCrunch. You can follow him on Twitter @NickARojas, or you can reach him at NickAndrewRojas@gmail.com.